9 Extraordinary Ways to Make Your Backyard Deck Stand Out
Posted 20 June 2017 11:00 AM by Jase DeBoer
Whether you’re building a new deck or upgrading an existing one, you have great decking options available in both pressure-treated wood and composite decking.
Deckorators® composite decking is ultra-low maintenance and comes with an industry-leading 25-year structural, 25-year stain and fade, and 25-year removal and replacement limited warranty. On the other hand, pressure-treated wood decking from ProWood® is a high-performing natural, durable option at a lower price point that comes with a lifetime limited warranty against termites and rot. Regardless of your decking choice, ProWood is also a great option for the understructure of your deck.
Once the decking material has been selected, add some flair to your outdoor living space with these deck design ideas:
- Two-tone deck design – Break the monotony of a single color by putting different color boards around the outside of your deck, known as “picture framing,” or arrange boards in different directions like a parquet floor.
- Distressed flooring – For the look of wood without using wood, Deckorators® Heritage decking has new designs that have a weathered woodgrain pattern with natural rustic undertones, or a tropical hardwood look with streaks of color variegation.
- Refreshing railing – Get your railing entertainment-ready by adding a deck board to the top with the Deckorators deck board railing connector. Plus, whether you go with treated wood or composite decking, you can add the finishing touches with railings from Deckorators. Go with CXT composite railing or ALX aluminum railing to match your deck with your personality.
- Bold balusters – Personalize your railing with unique in-fill ideas – from aluminum and glass balusters to sleek cable. Mix and match Deckorators balusters to complete your railings on both composite decking and pressure-treated wood.
- Stylish accents – Top off your deck with post caps that add character. Wood caps add a classic finished look, while copper and bronze caps inject a shot of style. Deckorators solar caps even add lighting to your deck.
- Postcovers –Deck posts can be jazzed up with Deckorators stone postcovers. You can wrap the posts with fieldstone, cobblestone or stacked stone styles to accent corners and stairways.
- Low-voltage lighting – Why call it a night when the sun sets? Deckorators low-voltage lighting can illuminate every part of your deck from the post tops to the sides of rails and stairs.
- Weather proofing – A new innovation, Deckorators Dexerdry®, fits into the slots between deck boards to create a dry zone below your deck that is perfect for added living space or storage. No more water through the cracks of your deck!
- Geometric freedom – Decks don’t have to be 12x12 square. Give your deck a little imagination with multiple levels and different dimensions. A step down here, a couple steps up there. Maybe even a built-in nook for a hot tub.
Get a look at what you can do with our Deck Visualizer.