Safety First! Check Your Deck This Spring
Posted 18 May 2022 5:18 PM by Michelle Hendricks
May is Deck Safety Month and a time to bring awareness to the necessary precautions homeowners should take to ensure their deck is well maintained. Keeping you and your family out of harm’s way is a high priority of Deckorators. It is a major responsibility to safeguard your outdoor living environment and make it enjoyable for all. With the seasonal changes taking place each year, each deck starts to experience wear and tear. May is a great time to revive your deck and prevent unwanted injuries from happening in the future.
Going through a checklist of safety measures is a great way to get your deck ready for the warm summer days with family and friends. Here are five things to think about when considering how to keep your deck safe:
- Keep an eye out for split or rotted wood and cracks in your deck. Applying a waterproof coating can be a strong defense against rapid wood decay.
- Tighten loose railing, fasten screws, and replace corroded nails.
- Check that the deck foundation is sturdy by analyzing its supports such as posts and beams.
- It is always a good idea to clean your deck using a power washer; however, a fan-tip nozzle should be used and the power washer should be set on the lowest setting to clear off any debris from the surface.
- Check the surrounding areas around your deck, and remove any loose or decaying tree limbs that could cause potential harm.
Homeowners should self-inspect their decks multiple times a year because some damage can appear overnight. Remember, May is a good reminder to do the hard work around your outdoor living space so that you and your family can be protected. It is a wonderful feeling to be able to relax, take a deep breath, and enjoy your deck after checking off your safety checklist. For more information on deck safety, check out the recent NADRA article where we share three ways you can do your part to promote safe outdoor living.